Cuso International is a development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships, and compassionate donors. We mobilize hundreds of skilled volunteer professionals every year to work with local partners in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada to create positive, lasting change. Established in 1961, Cuso International is dedicated to tackling today’s most important development issues.
Knowledge Management Specialist – Honduras (Spanish)
Location Comayaguela, Honduras
Start Date Aug - Oct 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 7 Months
Language Requirements English (fluent), Spanish(basic)
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Knowledge Management Specialist, you will use your technical skills to support the Instituto Nacional de la Mujer (INAM) staff in the area of knowledge and database management to improve how information is saved and retrieved. You will work with INAM staff to develop procedures, guidelines, and tools for compiling, storing, measuring, analyzing, reporting volunteer data. The expectation of this role will be the enhancement of how INAM monitors and evaluates the impact it is making through its activities.
The ideal candidate will also possess an interest in supporting female empowerment through improved gender equality & social inclusion. INAM is an autonomous institution focused on coordinating advocacy work related to female issues and their barriers to economic growth. If you are passionate about women’s issues and would like to support INAM’s important mandate, this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Be part of this initiative by sharing your knowledge management skills, and let’s make a difference together!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review and familiarize yourself with INAM’s existing knowledge & database management practices
- Assist INAM in developing systems, procedures, forms for collecting, storing, analyzing, measuring and reporting data
- Train and mentor INAM staff on effective data management
- Create a knowledge and database management manual for INAM staff
- Support in the delivery of workshops, networking events and activities of INAM.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University and/or College degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Business Administration Communications or another related field of study.
Essential Professional Background:
- 2-3 years’ professional experience working in database and knowledge management
- Understanding of participatory approaches and training skills
- Experience preparing professional documents and reports
- Experience supporting technical aspects of workshops, meetings, and training sessions
About Our Partner - Instituto Nacional de la Mujer
The Instituto Nacional de la Mujer (INAM) is an autonomous institution focused on social development and with rank of Secretary of State, with legal personality and own patrimony, responsible for formulating, promoting and coordinating the execution and follow-up of the national policy of the woman, as well as action plans for women's integration into sustainable development.
The Instituto Nacional de la Mujer (INAM) was created in 1998 and it was published in the Gazette No. 28798 on February 11th, 1999.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation (more details below)
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Advisor In Methodological Tools And Knowledge Management – Colombia (Spanish)
Start date Aug - Oct 2019 (flexible)
Duration of the position 6 Months
Language requirements Spanish (fluent)
Open only for people with Canadian citizenship or permanent residence
The role of this volunteer
We are looking for a volunteer like you to support the Institute for the Social Economy (IPES) in the construction of a research document, which aims to perform an extensive analysis of the informal economy problem in a global way, perform a local analysis and to be able to establish some lines of work for the next government, this taking into account the urgent need to be able to continue with the attention to the population in situation of high vulnerability in the city.
"Jobs to Build the Future" is a project funded by the Government of Canada that seeks, in partnership with the national and territorial government, private companies and civil society, to provide formal employment opportunities for women, youth and victims, fostering their socio-economic inclusion and increasing levels of labor equity for people in vulnerable situations entering the labor market.
For the reasons described above, in partnership with social organizations specializing in this area, we seek a volunteer who will provide advice and strengthen tools, methodologies and general procedures that the partner organizations of the "Jobs for the future" project implement within the framework of assistance technique that Cuso International provides in matters of public policies for inclusive employment.
During your volunteering, you will have the following objectives:
- Review of the panorama of the informal economy worldwide, highlighting the main problems in an integral manner and the way in which national and local governments have faced this problem.
- Support the construction of a diagnosis on the situation of the informal economy, paying special attention to the population in high conditions of vulnerability, the population displaced by the armed conflict, women heads of households, young people and the immigrant population.
- Support the development of an investigation on the transformations of the market places, not only in conditions of infrastructure but in the improvement of the quality of life of its merchants.
Essential academic qualifications:
- Professional career in Economic, Administrative Sciences, Social Sciences, Education Sciences and related. Postgraduate in related areas.
Essential professional experience:
- Methodology and current regulations on the preparation, formulation, evaluation and monitoring of projects.
- Participatory research methodologies.
- Methodologies compiling documents. Quantitative and qualitative techniques.
- Construction of research documents.
About our partner organization - Institute for the Social Economy
The Institute for the Social Economy has as its mission to contribute to the economic development of the city through the offer of income generation alternatives to the population of the informal economy that exercises its activities in the public space, focused on training, entrepreneurship, business strengthening and the management of competitive commercial platforms; as well as administer and develop actions to strengthen the District System of Market Places.
- Basic monthly allowance to cover personal expenses (varies by country)
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- Air travel and visa costs and / or work permit
- Cost of necessary vaccines, anti-malaria medicine and medical insurance
- Pre-game training and orientation in the country
- Travel and accommodation for the weekend of feedback
- Access to the Employee Assistance Program during their volunteering and when they return to their country of residence
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for orientation in the country
We ask each volunteer, regardless of the length of their volunteering, to collect $ 2000. Each volunteer receives support from Cuso International to achieve the collection goal. If the person chooses not to raise funds or fails to meet the collection goal, he / she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.